27.2.11

Project Outline

Project Outline

The brief I have been set is a self directed project where we analyse ourselves and decide where we fit within the fashion market. I want to use my finally collection and further it by creating a capsule collection. While doing this I will be able to decide what is my style of work, my skills, like sewing and pattern cutting, and my working aesthetics. When I have identified these things I will then be able to find designers which have a similar style and then contact them to pitch my idea for my "New Horizons" module. I will then see if If I can receive help and advice with creating my capsule range.

Describe the Project/ Idea

This project will enable me to gain access into the industry and be able to learn and get help from people who are already work within it. It will hopefully enable me to be able to understand the industry more and then hopefully help me more to get work after my university course finishes.

Position Statement

My name is David Watson and I am a fashion student currently in my final year studying at the University of East London. Through this brief I will identify who I am and what I am capable of doing when I graduate from university and when looking for a career. My strength lies within designing. I have a great imagination that helps me create new and exciting shapes to be cut and made. I also have strengths within CAD design and putting together research through mood boards and portfolio pages. My skills lie with in the first few stages of creating clothing and so therefore I believe I would be perfect to work for a designer or design team.

Focus of the Project

The main focus is to look at the clothing I have already created and develop those further into a capsule collection. I want to develop my ideas with the help and advice from people working for fashion designer Gareth Pugh. I want to be able to get insight into designing through the help I can receive from people already in the industry. I would ultimately like my capsule collection to look like a collaboration with Gareth Pugh so it would combine both our different styles but also more importantly show our similarities.


Project Deliverables

For this project I intend to look at the work of Gareth Pugh, as I feel that as a designer I have similarities to the way he designs. I will study the garments from current and past collections and diffuse my final collection into a ready-to-wear collection. I want to use the shapes of my final collection but play around with different fabrics and textures. I want to be able to use my own initial ideas and incorporate them with the ideas behind Pugh's work. All of my work will be displayed in a portfolio, as well as on my blog and will I will finish the module by presenting it all in a 15 minute presentation to show my progress.

Overview of the Development Process

My blog and working in my own time is crucial with this project to stay on target and produce significant work. I will also need to do design sheets, researching and thinking about what needs to be produced for my portfolio. I need to research into Pugh's work in depth to clearly work out his working style and what makes him such a successful designer. I need to make sure that I continuously keep in contact with my personal tutor and also whoever I make contact with at Gareth Pugh. I hope that if i follow the timetable and follow it closely then I should be fine on keeping on track and doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
To organise, display, record and to store.